Please visit our MS learning channel on Youtube, which provides hundreds of topics from our education programs, that were video-recorded and archived here: www.youtube.com/msviewsandnews -- Be empowered with MS news by registering with us: www.register.msviewsandnews.org

joomla ecommerce template -- Scroll left side of this blog for needed resources. Also, use our 'search by topic' tool, to find specific information.

Disclaimer: 'MS Views and News' DOES NOT endorse any products or services found on this blog. It is up to you to seek advice from your healthcare provider. The intent of this blog is to provide information on various medical conditions, medications, treatments, and procedures for your personal knowledge and to keep you informed of current health-related issues. It is not intended to be complete or exhaustive, nor is it a substitute for the advice of your physician. Should you or your family members have any specific medical problem, seek medical care promptly.

============================================================

Sunday, June 28, 2015

MS and Heat Sensitivity: I Thought I Knew What to Do

TREVIS now knows "HEAT"


Published Jun 26, 2015
It’s always nice to come home after being away for a few weeks.  It was particularly pleasant to return home to an 85°F temperature change.
On a recent leg of my book release tour, the hottest day while I was in South Carolina was 103°F  with humidity closer than a hoarder’s cupboard. By the end of nearly two weeks in the South, mymultiple sclerosis and I now fully understand what heat can do to us.
I’ve gone on about MS and heat sensitivity and thought that I had a good plan. My plan went out the window when air-conditioning in a car in which I was riding couldn’t keep up with the heat during a seven-hour drive. I arrived in South Carolina from Florida with muscle rigidity in my left arm, a stammer in my speech, and a droop on the left side of my face, and my left leg and foot were worthless to me.
For seven days the temps spiked to above 100°F. The pool of the rental house never dropped below body temperature, and palmetto palms are beautiful but offer little shade.
Cool – cum cold – showers were required at least (and usually more than) three times each day. Mid-afternoon naps became mid-morning, mid-day, and mid-afternoon rests under whirling ceiling fans blowing the air conditioning down on my body.
I don’t know how our brothers and sisters of the hotter climates handle such intense heat coupled with hair-curling, mind-numbing humidity.
I will say that even though I had some new muscle stiffness due to the heat-induced pseudo-exacerbation, the heat did seem to soothe the pain normally associated with such rigidity.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Keep CURRENT with MS Views and NewsOPT-IN here

.

No comments: