Please visit our MS learning channel on Youtube, which provides hundreds of topics from our education programs, that were video-recorded and archived here: www.youtube.com/msviewsandnews -- Be empowered with MS news by registering with us: www.register.msviewsandnews.org

joomla ecommerce template -- Scroll left side of this blog for needed resources. Also, use our 'search by topic' tool, to find specific information.

Disclaimer: 'MS Views and News' DOES NOT endorse any products or services found on this blog. It is up to you to seek advice from your healthcare provider. The intent of this blog is to provide information on various medical conditions, medications, treatments, and procedures for your personal knowledge and to keep you informed of current health-related issues. It is not intended to be complete or exhaustive, nor is it a substitute for the advice of your physician. Should you or your family members have any specific medical problem, seek medical care promptly.

============================================================

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Healthy Eating and Wellness - a Patient's Story

Written by: Elissa, an MS Patient and Health Coach


One day in 2005, I noticed that the right side of my face was numb – my cheek, half my nose, and part of my tongue. I was surprised, but given the fact that I had two young children, ages 5 and 1, who kept me busy, made me tired, and sprinkled everything with a little worry, I chalked my symptoms up to stress. I didn’t mention it to anyone for a few days, but when it began to bother me, I told my husband, who was concerned.  I decided to “wait and see”.

My symptoms continued, so a few days later I called my physician. It was a holiday week, so the kids and I packed up and went to see him. He poked and prodded, asked a few questions, and then he told me to see a neurologist immediately. I was incredulous – did he not see my two kids?  I didn’t have time for this!  But he was insistent, so I agreed to see his recommended doctor the following day. After arranging for childcare, I went to see the neurologist, who also poked and prodded. He then told me I needed an MRI, which I had never had before. A few days later I was at the hospital, with my husband in the waiting room, having my first MRI. I was scared and confused, and quickly realized that I’m a bit claustrophobic. When I left, I told my husband, Jason, “Thank god I never have to do THAT again!”



The following day I received a call from the doctor’s office saying that I needed to repeat the MRI, this time with contrast – my insurance company had refused to allow it the first time. When I questioned the receptionist and asked what the doctor was looking for, she said, “The doctor spoke with you about MS, right?” And that was the first time I heard about Multiple Sclerosis. 

In the days and weeks following my diagnosis of Relapsing Remitting MS, I experienced terror, depression, frustration and anger. Once I pulled myself together – thanks in large part to a loving husband and steadfast friends – I started asking questions. I wanted to know how I could help myself, since the doctors could only offer me medication, with no guarantees.

Eventually I decided to go back to school to become a Health Coach, focusing on wellness and nutrition. Today, I see clients who live with MS and help them make meaningful changes in their lives and strategize about how to adopt new habits. I also run workshops in the NY area on stress, the doctor-patient relationship, and the impact of sugar on our bodies.

Food won’t cure MS – it’s only one piece of the puzzle - but it’s important to keep your body as healthy as possible. Because holistic wellness means taking care of your whole body. And that’s where I can help. I look forward to connecting with you!

In Health,
Elissa


Are there habits you’ve adopted over the years that you’d like to shed? Goals that you want to accomplish? As a Health Coach, I can help you make significant and meaningful change in your life. Take a look at www.HealthElissa.com or http://www.Facebook.com/HealthElissa. I look forward to talking with you.


.===================================

No comments: