Please visit our MS learning channel on Youtube, which provides hundreds of topics from our education programs, that were video-recorded and archived here: www.youtube.com/msviewsandnews -- Be empowered with MS news by registering with us: www.register.msviewsandnews.org

joomla ecommerce template -- Scroll left side of this blog for needed resources. Also, use our 'search by topic' tool, to find specific information.

Disclaimer: 'MS Views and News' DOES NOT endorse any products or services found on this blog. It is up to you to seek advice from your healthcare provider. The intent of this blog is to provide information on various medical conditions, medications, treatments, and procedures for your personal knowledge and to keep you informed of current health-related issues. It is not intended to be complete or exhaustive, nor is it a substitute for the advice of your physician. Should you or your family members have any specific medical problem, seek medical care promptly.

============================================================

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Improve Your Strength and Balance With Pilates for MS


                                                                  
  
Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

Trying Pilates for MS

I’ve written many articles and blog posts about the benefits of exercise for multiple sclerosis (MS), but it occurred to me recently that I don’t actually practice what I preach! I talk the talk but always find excuses not to walk the walk (or stagger the stagger in my case).
I worry about exercise making fatigue worse and being unable to meet all my daily commitments like work and taking care of my children. I also worry about how much I can physically do due to my disabilities.
How can I join an exercise class, for example, when I can’t walk well or stand for long periods? How can I go swimming when heat intolerance makes getting dressed again impossible?
I needed to find something I could do at home on my own terms and at my own pace, so I started to make enquiries about private Pilates lessons.
I’d been talking to a friend with MS a few months ago who’d done a six-week course of Pilates and the results were amazing. She’d managed to get rid of her walking stick as her strength and balance had improved so much. I figured I might be able to improve and either get rid of one of my sticks or at least improve my confidence with two.


MS Views and News is MAKING an IMPACT on those affected by Multiple Sclerosis

No comments: