While I like to be the kind of person who’s always 3 steps ahead, during the holiday season, I tend to feel like I'm playing a constant game of catch up.
Between all the events, shopping, family commitments, etc. it’s hard to stay on top of things. But I've found that taking some time to stop and look around can be very rejuvenating, even if it means pulling back on the reins in the middle of what feels like a race.
I was with my family in Puerto Rico during the Thanksgiving week (what a beautiful place!) and took the opportunity to rest and think about my goals for the next few months. I realized how much I love what I do – helping others to make meaningful change in their lives when it comes to nutrition, exercise and self care – and now I'm back and ready to "bring it!" So here are some helpful tips that will help you plan for success this holiday season – ‘tis the season to roll with the punches!
· Choose wisely – one way is to “eat the rainbow.” Each day, enjoy a salad or fresh vegetables. Minimize your sugar intake (you already knew this!). And stop eating before you’re full. Remember that food is fuel for your body – so use the best fuel possible!
· Don't wait until the last minute to get things ready. This will only lead to stress and aggravation. Make a list, then use it!
· Pace yourself – you don’t need to do it all. Honor yourself by setting aside time for you. Sneak away for 20-30 minutes to close your eyes or meditate or do whatever you find refreshing. Then you'll be ready for the rest of the day.
· Change is inevitable, so embrace it with a smile. Studies have shown that smiling can make you feel better :-). The muscles used to smile can actually impact the brain activities associated with happiness. So turn that frown upside down!!
· Show your appreciation for all that's in front of you, whether or not it was planned. Unexpected can be wonderful, too.
This holiday season, I'm wishing you love, health and success!!
Elissa is holistic health coach and founder of Health/E. She works with individuals to help them find energy, strength and balance through nutrition, exercise and self-care. Elissa gives workshops throughout the NY area, and runs support groups for the National MS Society, in addition to working one-on-one with clients.
Elissa can work with you to create meaningful change in your life – reach your goals, improve your diet, increase energy and kick your sugar addiction. Find out more by scheduling a complimentary breakthrough session at 917-941-9170
Health Coach, Health/E, LLC